Pages

Latest Tweet:

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, January 16, 2009

    3 Months, 16 Days, and a few Hours...

    The length of time i've had my Mac...

    Now those of you who knew me about 3 or 4 years ago will know that for me to actually go out and by something made by 'Apple' of all people, is nothing short of a miracle. However, since i made the leap about 4 years ago and brought my first Apple product (a little iPod nano), my opinions have changed somewhat.

    I have since brought a Macbook Pro and more recently an iPod Touch. I can honestly say that these are the two single greatest purchases in the arsenal that comprise my gadgets! Below is a screenshot of the mac interface, and how i have it set up...

    It is perfect! There is no simpler way of describing it. The interface flows, the buttons do exactly what you expect them too, and everything is where you would expect it to be! I should explain, I have been a windows user since windows 3.1 at the age of 'very young' so 3 months, 16 days and a few hours ago I was completely new to the Mac interface. Now i feel like i've never used anything else!

    As part of my course I am required to do C++ programming in Microsoft Visual Studio. This, being a Microsoft program, requires windows to run. Even on a Mac this isn't a problem anymore. I just run windows right inside leopard, and it runs just fine! Feels horrible and clunky to use though!

    Now I'm not saying that Mac's are perfect. I'm saying that the software is very close to being perfect, but the hardware can be an issue. Now i have one of the older style MacBook Pro's (not the Unibody) and I can tell you that it runs exceedingly hot, upwards of 80 degrees centigrade when playing games! Other issues include the wireless card sometimes deciding that it doesn't exist and the slot loading disk drive occasionally rubbing against the case, making a small clicking noise. These are, of course, minor things that have done little to counteract the joy of owning such an easy to use, well designed laptop!

    As for the iPod Touch, more on that next week...

    Sam